Introduction to Yoga for Weight Loss
If you wish to start yoga for weight loss, it requires complete commitment and practice. You can successfully burn more calories with rigorous and active forms of yoga to prevent your body from gaining weight. Intense and active yoga styles are effective in burning calories. Ashtanga, Vinyasa, and Power Yoga are few examples of physical types of yoga. While some people use medications like weight loss injections, this article focuses on the effectiveness of yoga practices for long-lasting weight loss.Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
Is yoga good for weight loss?
Yes, you can rely on yoga practices to shed some weight. Yoga decreases stress and cortisol levels, which increase when you are stressed. Cortisol can lead to an increase in stomach fat, an increase in craving for sugary and fatty food, and a decrease in muscle mass.
Yoga can be helpful in decreasing cortisol and stress levels while reducing anxiety and depression, boosting sleep, and improving diabetes and hypertension. As a result, there is much less need for medication that can lead to weight gain.
Essentially, yoga boosts the mindfulness of the body and its sensations. That’s why, another name for yoga is moving meditation. As you get better at mindfulness, you will see amazing results. Yoga decreases binge eating, emotional eating and stress eating that contribute to weight gain.
Does yoga tone your body?
Yes, regular yoga helps you have a more sculpted and toned body. When you hold yoga poses, it takes effort and muscle strength, which makes your muscles strong and more defined. As a result, your physique looks more toned. Yoga incorporates the whole body in different poses, so you tone your body completely.
Each yoga pose works on different muscles and tones different body areas. Yoga can be an excellent full-body workout. Although yoga helps tone the body, you should do other exercises, such as outdoor walks, cardio workouts, and strength training at the gym.
If you want to lose weight with yoga, merely doing yoga will not transform your body. You should practice yoga with a healthy balanced diet and other exercises for the best results
Yoga poses for beginners
If you are starting out yoga to lose weight and toning your body, here are some poses for weight loss yoga for beginners:
1- The Bow Pose
Bow pose is very effective as it stretches your entire front and strengthens all back muscles. It focuses on the throat, chest, abdomen, hip flexors, quadriceps, and ankles.
- Lie flat on your stomach and place your hands on the sides.
- Bend your knees toward your buttocks while you exhale.
- Your knees should be of hip distance.
- Hold your ankles by stretching your hands backward.
- Take a deep breath while drawing your thighs in an upward motion.
- Your head and chest will lift up as well.
- Continue breathing softly and hold the position.
2- The Cat-Cow Pose
The cat-cow is basically a transition between two poses. An effective asana to start with for losing belly fat, this pose strengthens the abdominal muscles and gives a good stretch to your spine.
- Get on all fours while ensuring your wrists are parallel to shoulders and knees to hips.
- Get into cow pose as you take a deep breath and drop your belly towards the ground.
- Look toward the ceiling with your chin and chest up.
- Now, slowly move into the cat pose. Draw in your belly towards the spine and suck in your stomach.
- Stretch like a cat, round up towards the ceiling, and move your chin towards your chest.
3- The Chair Pose
The chair pose is very similar to a squat as it works on your upper and lower body muscles. The pose engages your ankles, calves, glutes, and quadriceps.
- Push your thighs together and bend your knees.
- Get into a squat position.
- Do it in such a way that when you look down, you can see your toes right in front of your knees.
4- The Forward bend Pose
Here is how you can do a forward bend pose:
- Stand with your feet together and bend your knees slightly.
- Fold your upper body forward towards your legs from the hips.
- Look straight ahead and then slowly get back to the original position.
5- Table top Crunches
These are somewhat like the regular crunches without using your arm strength:
- Lie on your back with your legs at a 90-degree angle.
- For a light rest, bend your elbows.
- Use the strength of your abdominal muscles and slowly lift your shoulders.
- Do not pull your head up using arm strength.
These are some poses of yoga for weight loss. Newbies can begin their yoga weight loss journey with these. However, staying regular is crucial for effective results.
Best free yoga apps since not everyone can afford to take a yoga class, there is another way that, too, for free.
1- Yoga for Beginners Mind+Body
As the name suggests, the app is ideal for yoga beginners. The app has a section titled Beginner Yoga, so you can learn all the basics before moving on to complex yoga poses.
2- Simply Yoga
This app is great for beginners who are entering into the yoga world. It offers six routines especially for first-timers, between 20-60 minutes long.
3- Yoga-Go for Weight Loss Beginners
If you are new to yoga and have started it for weight loss, you will love the app. There is relaxing music, and you will not even know you are burning calories.
Grokker is a free yoga app for beginners, who are unsure or aware of structuring a session. It is helpful for those who want to work towards a particular goal.
5- 5 Min Yoga
This app for yoga beginners features illustrations for every pose. The timer feature ensures you do each pose for the right amount of time.
For those who have started yoga for weight loss, it is important to practice yoga as often as possible. If you wish to shed some pounds, you could indulge in an active and intense yoga session as you progress.
This way, you can build flexibility and strength while ensuring you don’t hurt yourself. Give yourself 1 day of complete rest every week. For additional benefits for cardiovascular health, merge your yoga with cycling, walking, and swimming