The summer holidays have now started and whether you are enjoying the sun at home or jet setting to some beautiful destination there is one key item that you should have to hand at all times, Sun glasses. So to make sure your eyes are properly protected this summer enter the competition below to win an amazing voucher worth £150 to spend on sunglasses in any Specsavers store.
A couple of weeks ago I was lucky enough to interview one of the opticians from London’s Sheperd’s Bush Specsavers and find out all about the importnace of wearing sunglasses, I even got to ask them for some top tips, here is what they had to say….
Why is it so important to wear sunglasses?
Sun exposure can cause avoidable macular damage which is why sunglasses are such an important weapon when it comes to protecting vision. Short term exposure to UV rays can cause photo keratitis, painful inflammation on the front of the eye.
What should a person look for when choosing a pair of sunglasses?
Not all sunglasses offer adequate protection – check that yours bear the CE kite mark and are UV400 effective. It is also important to chose a style that suits your face and a pair that you feel comfortable wearing.
Do you have any other tips?
* Wear your sunglasses even on days with cloud and sun, as UV rays penetrate cloud
* Try to avoid the sun between 10am and 2pm, when UV rays are most intense
* Wear big lenses for even more protection
* Invest in photochromic lenses that instantly adapt to light changes, darkening in bright light
* Wear sunglasses over your contact lenses as their UV protection does not cover the whole of your eye
* Ensure that your sunglasses fit properly
* If you are going on holiday and have prescription sunglasses, take your optician’s phone number with you. If your sunglasses break, your optician can send your prescription to an optician near you so you can get new lenses.
For your chance to win an incredible £150 eye care voucher to spend on sunglasses in Specsavers just enter the competition below using the rafflecopter.